BEST LAPTOPS FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS
Those days are gone when having a laptop was considered a luxury. It was more of a status symbol for the rich. Nowadays it has evolved from being a luxury to a necessity. Everybody needs a laptop to carry out their everyday tasks at the office or college presentations, Programming and coding, gaming or even Netflix for the sake of teenage entertainment.
I know what you readers must be thinking, “We all have smartphones, it’s the 21st century!” Well, I would like to remind you all, the famous saying,” The work suits best in the hands of the one skilled to do it.”
There is a wide range of laptops in the market to choose from. Starting from the bottom up to the high-end flagship machines. Now, which one should students buy? There are so many options, the students must go crazy deciding which one to take home. So, I will guide you through the best of options as per the
The line-up for the year 2018.
To Begin with, the ACER CHROMEBOOK R11 is a decent low budget laptop for college students. It is a value-driven product from Acer with 360-degree hinges. A Chromebook that is also convertible, a pretty good deal from Acer. This machine has a unique “tent-mode”, offering flexibility to a lot of students.
- The Acer R11 is docked in a sleek white chassis with some kind of diamond design on top.
- The build quality of the machine is not that strong as when we pressed the lid, the air pushed out.
- On Opening the lid, beautiful Black Island-style keys which looked great with the contrast of white.
- A solid machine with 11.6” display, aluminium panelling and it is also very sleek and light to suit the students need of a portable device.
- 6mm thin and weighs only 2.76 pounds.
- The Acer R11 is a small machine that will fit comfortably in your bag and go with you anywhere.
- It has a 1366 x 768 touchscreen display which could be a little more vibrant.
- The brightness is lower than compared to its other competitors.
- This machine is powered by an Intel Celeron N3150 Quad Core processor, which I think is pretty decent for the low budget laptop.
- It is packed with 4GB of DDR4 RAM.
KEYBOARD AND TOUCHPAD:
- The keyboard on the beautiful laptop is very clicky, with 1.7mm of key travel which is great as some high-end laptops lack such key travel features.
- The touchpad is also very responsive and smooth. A 4.1 x 2.4 inches touchpad didn’t feel as strong as it should have when compared to its other competitors.
- This Chromebook has the ports you would like for light-weight use and work.
- The left facet has the DC – in jack for power, associate degree HDMI port, a single USB 3.0 port, a Coyote State card slot.
- The proper facet is home to the headphone/mic jack, a USB 2.0 port, a lock slot and therefore a power button.
- The battery life of this machine is excellent.
- It lasts for about 10hours every day which is more than most of other two in one laptop in the market.
- The handy laptop is priced at just $289 on Amazon US store. A big package in a small Price.
The low budget Chromebook R11 is light-weight and offers a colourful show, a snug keyboard, tight performance and sensible battery life.
We have a tendency to do worry regarding the machine’s build quality thanks to the flexing lid. Chrome OS simply is not prepared for touchscreens, therefore we won’t call the functionality a plus.
Next, we move on to a remarkable mid-range laptop which is ASUS ZenBook UX330UA-AH54. A Perfect Blend of stylish Design and Efficient Performance. The Zenbooks by Asus has never failed to captivate its users. Out of all the Zenbooks, the ZenBook UX330UA-AH54 is the ultimate Laptop for students.
- As we all know about the High-end Macbooks, the design of this machine is very similar to the MacBook Air. Not Kidding! Ridiculously thin with broader panels along the hinges which become beautifully thin towards the end. It is similar to the MacBook Air with respect to weight, size and performance.
- But, Unlike the MacBook Air, it has a protective chunkier border along the display which looks ugly but adds up to the protection of the laptop.
- It even sports a fingerprint sensor embedded on the top right of the touchpad, which is a plus point as far as security of the device is concerned.
- The display of this device does not fail to surprise us with a stunning 13.3 inches wide-view anti-glare display.
- It is super strong as well, with Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection.
- It comes with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, a LED matte panel which is IPS technology providing clear vivid display quality with wide viewing angles.
- Speaking of the Hardware and performance of the machine, under the hood, it is packed with the latest 7th generation Intel Core i5-7200U processor which comes with a clock speed of 2.5Ghz. Although there is also an option to Turbo Boost the device with 1Ghz clock speed.
- Talking of speed, the laptop comes with 8GB DDR3 RAM, which seems outdated as these days DDR4 has taken the lead.
- Students have a lot of potentials to stuff their laptops with movies, games, documents etc. So Asus has provided us with 256GB of SSD storage, a big relief to students.
- Despite being an ultrabook, the Zenbook does not compromise on any connectivity options.
- There are two USB 3.0 ports for faster and efficient data transfers.
- A USB type C port for up to ten times the speed and performance.
- A micro HDMI port and a micro SD card Slot Too many slots for an ultrabook for sure, maintaining the sleek design as well. Good Job Asus.
- Battery life of this particular edition of Zenbook is less than its predecessor.
- It is fairly 8hours 55min. This is roughly 9hours of battery life on a single charge. Earlier it was 10hours 23min.
- So, for college going students this could be a little drawback, but other than this, the machine works brilliantly.
- The price is pretty mid-ranged for college students as compared to other competitors.
- This laptop will cost around $799 for 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD storage on the Amazon store with accessories such as screen protectors and cases.
- The Asus Zenbook UX330UA-AH54 provides its users with a solid performance, a bright vivid display, perfect audio for perfect listeners, and a 720p webcam for those long video calls on Skype.
- But only if the touchpad wasn’t so sturdy and the battery life wouldn’t have that great standard to live up to, it would have been a perfect device for students and other users.
So, these were two laptops which are most suitable for students, keeping in mind the price range as most of the students would not prefer spending so much money on a laptop. Students have other expenses as well.
But just in case, your parents are planning to pay for your laptop or you are very keen about the latest technologies and high-end laptops, do not compromise on design and performance. Buy a flagship laptop and enjoy what the laptop has to offer you.
Next, we are talking about the expensively featured HP SPECTRE X360.
- The spectre X360 comes in two sizes for preferential users which are 3 inches and 15.6 inches.
- This HP machine offers features that none of the above laptops could offer such as an HP Pen and innovation at its best with the new “Windows Ink System”.
It is an
- which weighs like a feather and is crafted in a
single piece of aluminium
- and is also a convertible laptop and a tablet. So this machine is a perfect daydream for all the students out there.
- The display of the expensive device is stunning. It is a full HD display with 1920 x 1080p resolution.
- It is a touchscreen display with accurate colour fidelity and viewing angles.
- Minor glitches in the display disappoints the users, such as dimmer brightness as compared to other flagship laptops, a very reflective screen, and like other touchscreen displays, it is a fingerprint magnet as well,
- Under the shell, the HP Spectre X360 is powered by an Intel core- i7 8550U.
- The laptop is right there in the performance benchmarks competing with the Macbook Pro and other flagship devices.
- According to the tests, this laptop has a 30% performance boost than its predecessor, which is pretty massive when it comes to laptops.
- Already being so powerful, the 16GB DDR4 RAM will turbo boost the laptop. It is a high scorer machine when it comes to benchmark scores.
KEYBOARD AND TOUCHPAD:
- The keyboard on this laptop is a little different. HP has taken up all the free space and added new features to compensate. There is an added new row on the keyboard, which one has to get used to.
- Other than that, the keys are fine with the perfect key travel and oddly satisfying sound.
- Below, those beautiful keys, there is an obviously oversized touchpad, similar to its predecessor. The glass touchpad is precise and provides great control over the cursor.
- Apart from the additional key row, there is a fingerprint sensor on the right side of the laptop, other than the windows hello enabled camera for unlocking the device. But sadly, the Windows Hello feature is not that secure.
- The laptop is packed with two USB 3.1 type -C ports with additional thunderbolt 3 on both the sides.
- Other than this, a single USB Type-A port, which is a big sigh of relief as the Apple Macbooks have lost all sorts of ports other than the USB type-C, which is a big Boo-Boo for a flagship device.
- Unlike Apple, the absences of ports have been well taken care of as the laptop comes with all sorts of dongles for all purposes of connectivity. Hats Off! HP, Great work. Well Done!
- One of the most important features for a student is the laptops battery life, but students need not worry about this problem, before buying this laptop.
- It runs 9hours straight from a single charge.
- Thin and portable, with 9hours of long battery life, what else does a student want?
- It is a flagship laptop by HP and it costs $1100 for the basic variant. Expensive but worth it.
- The HP Spectre x360 is by far the best laptop today in the market available. It is convertible, it has a sleek design, it is light weight, sounds perfect, a powerful performer with great typing experience and long lasting battery life.
- The only drawback is the reflective display of the expensive laptop. The build of the machine suits the price hike. The design, performance and the accessories bundled in the box are a big plus point to buy this laptop.
- You can’t go wrong with the HP Spectre X360 if you’re looking for something like this in the market.
Till now, you must have decided which one you will be going for. These are the best options available in the market as of now. I have categorised the best options keeping in mind, the price range. Students can opt for any of these three devices depending upon their pocket and usage. The best laptops in their respective price range are the:
- ACER CHROMEBOOK R11 for $289
- ASUS Zenbook UX330UA-AH54 for $799
- HP SPECTRE X360 for $1100.